It's that time again, my Wednesday featured seller and this week is the turn of Polka over on Folksy. I am a sucker for buttons and bright colours and she's uses both in abundance.
1. Where do you get your inspiration? Mainly its from the HUGE!! collection of fabric I have gained and hoarded. I chop alot of my childrens clothes especially Maisy's and I just love a good rummage round the charity shops. I also LOVE buttons and will sometimes buy something in a charity shop just to chop the buttons off. As for the designs on my brooches and bags they simply evolve as I go along usually based on the colours.
2. Describe your workspace? Ha Ha that's a really easy one!, I completely take over the dining room table, sometimes it spreads to the lounge and my supplies have taken over the garage ( very bad hoarding habit!)
3. When and Why did you start your crafting business? I have always done sewing, making my sindy doll clothes!. Luckily I hope it progressed and improved from there, I started by making collage pictures from fabric, buttons and stitching. I started out by doing stalls at local events including Lichfield festival and Melbourne open arts events. I stared on folksy because I wanted to see if my work would sell to a wider audience and all my friends kept pushing me to do it!
4. What is your most favourite item that you sell? This is quite hard! I really love the tweed bag in my shop with green crochet flowers and buttons, mind you I also love the bird brooches as well.
5.Where else do you sell? Only on folksy at the moment but also registered with Misi, would also like to open a shop on Etsy need to make more stock!
6. Do you do craft fairs and do you think they are a good place to sell? I'm planning to just do some of the school summer fairs round my area. There is a big Christmas craft fair at Kedleston Hall, Derby that I have applied for and also one in Leicester that a fellow folkster ( lisa from noodlebubble) has organised. I think doing a craft fair is abit hit and miss depending on the fairs promotion, also some are very pricey so its quite daunting if you don't sell anything. However I do love the buzz of face to face selling and positive feedback is great.
7. Describe your style in 3 words? ahhhhh!! clashing, funky and busy!
8. What are you working on at the moment? Just finished a really sweet handbag, soon to be listed, its pink and orange floral with garish orange floral flap, this has a pink polka dot flower with a gorgeous cerise button and turquoise gingham handles. Sounds really garish but it looks nice trust me!
9. What is the weirdest thing about you? I've got eyes in the back of my head!! well I say it to my children enough so it could be true.
10. What one item would I buy from another folksy seller? I love the pendants from seaurchin especially this one, mind you my favourite list is very long! http://www.folksy.com/items/27412-Porcelain-Pendant-with-Glass-Bubble-Moon
11. Where is your most favourite place? Definately St Ives in Cornwall I just adore it there I love the arty community and the relaxed atmosphere also Porthcurno Beach at the Minnack Theatre again in Cornwall, one day if I win a cool million I can move down there!
12. What is your favourite book? No favourite books really more into mags!! sorry not very grown up I'm afraid.
13. What is your favourite film? Goodfellas and any other gangsta blood fest!! Casino, The Godfather and I love horrors.
14. What is your favourite song? "oh my god"by the Kaiser Chiefs in fact pretty much anything by them, I love them!! went to see them at the nia and it was fantastic.
15. If you could do anything for the day what would it be? Rally driving!! I love driving fast round lanes and that would be the perfect way to do it, would also like to go shopping with an endless budget, I love buying clothes and shoes.
16. What would your superhero power be? To be invisible, so I could see my children at school to see what they get upto.
I just wanted to say a big thanks to Polka for taking the time to answer these questions.