Wednesday 24 June 2009

Strangelord

Wow, aren't the weeks going quick? Which is great for me in my current state of making a tiny little person...29 weeks and counting.

Anyways, onto my Weekly Wednesday featured seller from Folksy. This week is the turn of Strangelord and when you look in her shop all I can say is....what's not to love? It's so fantastical and magical and appeals to my Kitsch side, which is most of me really.

So on with the interview and all the yummy photos.



1. Where do you get your inspiration?
Over the years I've flitted between disciplines (a spot of painting AKA my degree, textiles/fashion-based stuff, performance), but most recently have settled on collaging and assembling everyday objects together. I'm obsessed with the kitsch and the kawaii, but with a nod towards Dada and/or Surrealism. I'm fascinated by the idea of taking something sickly and sweet and contrasting it with the bizarre, nightmarish or oh-so slightly perverse.

I love the immediacy and integrity of combining found images and objects to make something entirely different.

Inspiration comes from my scavenging nature. I'm a compulsive collector. My media is what others may regard as trash -broken jewellery, old toys, junk shop finds, a pretty button, scraps, charms, trinkets. Patterns, childhood imagery, fragments of text. My friends and family all collect for me. And yes, I've been know to pick things up in the street before. If it's good enough for Kurt Schwitters...!


I'm inspired by Joseph Cornell, Max Ernst, Hans Bellmer. I'm inspired by songs, stories, feelings, fears, everything really. My imagination is constantly in overdrive. Through collaging I like to capture these thoughts and stick them down, along with the mess of seemingly un-associated items, arranged neatly, like restoring order to a somewhat chaotic life.

2. Describe your work space?
Collaging takes place all over our shared Victorian terrace -at the breakfast bar, curled up on the sofa, in bed whilst watching some nostalgic old film or camp musical! I've taken over the back bedroom as some kind of gallery-cum-treasure trove that taste forgot. My work hangs on pretty much every available wall space, and is piled in every nook and cranny.



3. When and Why did you start your crafting business?
See above! I've always had the compulsion to create. I can't sit still for two minutes without arranging things nicely or dreaming up new colour combinations. If my imagination, hands, or both aren't kept busy I fall asleep. Literally. This hyper-activity led to an accumulation of art work. Shows only come up a few times a year so sales through this route are limited, and you can only give each friend or family member so many collaged gifts, so the natural progression was to look for an outlet to tout my wares. That's how I stumbled across Folksy earlier this year.

I don't create to live, I live to create. If people like what I do and wanna buy it, that's a bonus.

I often wonder where the few pieces I have sold ended up. I think there's some kind of art in that -something so personal and unique to me, just hanging there in a stranger's house. They don't know why I made it, but obviously it meant something to them.

4. What is your most favourite item that you sell?
All of it -duh! No, sorry. I like pretty much all of my pieces for different reasons. However I'm especially fond of a little collage I call 'Lepidopterrorist'. It's partly about my fear of moths and butterflies (the big Daddy of all my phobias). I like it because i made it on an awesome vintage tile I found at a car boot sale, but I also love the combination of yellow and purple. Complementary -see I remember colour theory!


I have a couple of box collages I think are pretty cool too. They are my homage to Cornell. I like the idea that you can close the lid and it not only becomes personal and private, but portable too.

5. Where else do you sell?
I love getting involved in art shows and exhibitions as it's always so exciting to see your work up an the walls. I'll be showing at the Great Sheffield Art Show at the Octagon 10th-12th July, with 5 new pieces for sale.

6. Do you do craft fairs and do you think they are a good place to sell?
I can't pretend to be an expert -sorry! I'm more arty-farty than crafty, but I do have a massive respect for skilled craftspeople. I'd love to have the patience to master knitting, or be brave enough to use a sewing machine properly!

7. Describes your style in 3 words.
Gosh, only three? I'm way too wordy for that! Idiosyncratic? Accumulated. Sinister-sweet (not cheating much!).



8. What are you working on at the moment?
I'm almost done with a hanging card collage based on a catacombs/archaeological theme.

9. What is the weirdest thing about you?
At one time or another I have been monophobic, clinophobic, nychtophobic, thanatophobic, necrophobic, iatrophobic, phasmophobic, samhainophobic, trypanophobic, catoptrophobic, mottephobic, claustrophobic, wiccaphobic...I am scared of literally EVERYTHING! I think that makes me a slightly odd kid. Makes great inspiration for my work though.

10. What 1 item would you like to buy from another Folksy seller?
I've had my eye on Zedhead's graffiti print clutch for ages, http://www.folksy.com/items/21042-Graffiti-Print-Clutch-Purse, as sometimes I like to pretend I'm a little bit gangsta. Unfortunately my car is currently dying, so until I get that replaced I can't really be too frivolous!

11. Where is your most favourite place?
PARIS. In my dreams I am there. Had the best trip of my life there two years ago with my fella Alex. I made him a box collage to commemorate it.



12. What is your favourite book?
I urge you to read Tracy Emin's 'Strangeland', what ever you think about her art, or the way she's depicted in the media. Her writings are beautiful.

13. What is your favourite film?
Brief Encounter! It's gut-wrenching. I've never seen anyone so perfectly demonstrate the depths of despair as Celia Johnson. It's those eyes. There's something romantic about stations, isn't there?

I saw a fab stage adaptation by The Kneehigh Theatre Company recently. Not quite the tear-jerker I expected, but they really played up the comic elements and the music was super.

14. What is your favourite song?
There are many, for many different reasons. I would like 'There is a light that never goes out' by The Smiths played at my funeral. Patsy Cline breaks my heart and makes me fall off my chair laughing from one song to the next. 'Moon River' always makes me cry.



15. If you could do anything for the day what would you do?
A lie-in would be nice! The best days are spent with someone close -a stroll round a museum with a friend, hitting the shops for some serious mother-daughter time, prancing around a stately home, my man on my arm, pretending that I really am (as I like to believe) descended from the gentry. I'm easily pleased. I take life as it comes, and find excitement in even the littlest of things.

16. You are a Superhero, what is your power?
To make time stand still. It's racing past me at an alarming rate. Did you ever see the kids' programme 'Bernard's Watch'? I want me one of those! Just think of all the collaging I'd get done!
So that's the end of another interview from another wonder folksy seller. Aren't you all great?
The picture above is my absolute favourite, in fact it's on my favourite list back at Folksy, It's called House. I love it.

Thanks again Strangelord for doing the interview.
Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Great interview - I love Strangelords work too - in fact I featured a piece on Cuteable recently. It just appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - love Strangelords work - great feature - very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Feature, loed reading about Strangelord, lov ed the pics of her artwork- raeally interesting.

    love n light

    Chris

    ReplyDelete