Wednesday 27 May 2009

Featured Seller - Aleximo Croissant

My first featured artist, I hope I do them justice.

I met Alex over on the Folksy Forums when I posted a thread asking for people to be featured on my blog. The response was overwhelming so I am going to make this a weekly thing....time permitting and as long as those pesky kids stay in school!!

I love Aleximo Croissant's shop, it's so fun, funky and vibrant. I sent her some questions which she has answered beautifully even though some of them are a tad on the stupid side.

1. Where do you get your inspiration?

A very wide variety of places, as with a lot of designers most of my ideas happen at night, so I find it imperative to keep a sketchbook by my bed at all times. I love walking around the grounds of Lyme Park, and the gardens at Tatton Park, I often go sketching there. Japanese culture has also inspired a lot of my work, I love anything to do with Studio Ghiblli and gashapon toys. All my pieces start off as sketchbook work, but it may take years before the initial sketch becomes a product or design.

2. Describe your work space?

I currently work in my bedroom, and in the garden when it’s not raining! I have a big desk in front of a south facing window over my garden. It’s a wonderful view with very good light, and I can see all the wildlife and trees, which helps to inspire my work too.

3. When and Why did you start your crafting business?

I’ve always made things, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a birthday card as prefer to make a personalised card for the recipient. I decided to start an online shop whilst I was still at uni to sell all the things I made but didn’t have room for. Sometimes whilst doing my degree I got an idea block, so I always had a side project to be working on. I also pushed myself to learn new skills at uni, and taught myself how to knit for a toy creation brief we did. Often the things I made were given away as gifts, and the positive feedback I received encouraged me to start my business.

4. What is your most favourite item that you sell?

I’m quite partial to my cupcake badges and candy knitted rabbit, I’m hoping to create a cupcake themed blank greetings card soon!

5. Where else do you sell?

I also sell on Etsy as well as Folksy, here; http://aleximo.etsy.com But I’m considering Misi and Coriandr too.

6. Do you do craft fairs and do you think they are a good place to sell?

I’ve only done one craft fair so far that a friend organised, it was a good day, but a bit hit-and-miss overall. I would love to do one of the Handm@de craft fairs, if I could get down to Cambridge. But I have two more coming up for July and November.

7. Describes your style in 3 words.

Eclectic, Random, Anglomania

8. What is the weirdest thing about you?

Even though I’m an avid reader and massive bibliophile, most of my books look like they’ve never been read. I can’t bear to break the spines, and so have perfected a style of reading that keeps the spine and cover intact!

9. What 1 item would you like to buy from another Folksy seller?

I’ve liked this Sakura Knot Pendant from Mettle Design Studio for a while: http://www.folksy.com/items/33741-Sakura-Knot-Pendant?shop=yes

10. Where is your most favourite place?

Windy Top at Lyme Park and DisneyWorld in Florida, I turn into a four year old whenever I go, it’s like you’re living in a bubble. Which can be very welcome sometimes!

11. What is your favourite book?

‘The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters’ by G.W.Dahlquist, this book blew my mind when I first read it, and still does. It has a feel of Conan-Doyle about it, and kept me thoroughly engaged right up to the end, which is impressive for a book 2 inches thick!

12. What is your favourite film?

That’s a toughie, it’s a toss up between ‘My Neighbour Totoro’, ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’ and ‘Labyrinth’.

13. What is your favourite song?

‘The Spark that Starts the Storm‘ by David Bentley, this song is by one of my flat mates from uni, it reminds me of my first year at uni and bbq’s at Storthes. You can listen to David’s music here: http://www.myspace.com/thisisdavidbentley

14. If you were an alien what would your name be?

Xlek Kavlar

15. If you could do anything for the day what would you do?

Work at Pixar, though I’d rather it be much more than a day!

16. You are a Superhero, what is power?

To Fly, but I’d have to have wings.

I would like to say a really big thank you to Alex for being my very first featured seller....and my human guinea pig. I hope you like the feature.

2 comments:

  1. That was a fab interview - thanks for sharing it! I love Aleximos work - she's very very talented! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting feature and Aleximos work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete